Yes Sony is going to buy ETV .Sony take control of 11 of the 12 channels in the ETV basket, owned by Ramoji Rao’s Ushodaya Enterprises, Ya the only channel left will be the Telgu one as Mr Rao will not let any one take over the AP Political hold he has because of Enadu Publications.Ushodaya has three divisions, Eenadu Publications, ETV Network and pickles and food company Priya Foods. The group has diversified rapidly into film and TV production and distribution, financial services, garment manufacturing and hospitality. It also owns a 1,600-acre Ramoji Film City.http://www.etv.co.in/e-tv-5/index.php
Well thats quite an move for sony channel (Multi-Screen Media (MSM), which runs Sony Television in India) http://www.setindia.com/ to be a market entrant after Star Network and ZEE. It means strong action in Channel industry is going to happen.
Just to revise that ZEE is having its own Alpha series which turned out to be Zee Marathi and other regional channels just like Star which proudly owns Star regional channels so Sony must be feeling left out in the market . After all this is the season of deals
Biggest media deal for $500-600 million (around Rs 2,600 crore ) to give Sony a bigger share of regional pie.Indeed this deal will be the deal of decade in India or who knows even in Asia which will overshadow any of the business deals done so far like Disney’s premeditated venture in UTV, Turner’s purchase of NDTV imagine from New Delhi Television and coming together of Viacom and Network18 presently functioning under CNBC Indian version. Wohho so much buying is going on in the market.
Information Source : http://business-standard.com/india/news/sony-set-to-buy-etvs-channels/442804/
Now comes cause and effect of the deals ( Note the views expressed are facts + my analysis so I not being a media expert you can not Quote them 😉 )
- Currently Sony was landing some where above Colors () and NDTV Imagine and below Zee and Star due to their regional share and this deal will land sony ahead with at least 2-3 regions ahead of Zee and Star who have almost the coverage in 8 regions only.
- Apart from having a pan-India presence, ETV’s infotainment channels also reach out to Indian diaspora in the US, providing digital entertainment via ETV Telugu, ETV Bangla and ETV Gujarati entertainment channels.And ETV group is the one which on the line of Doordarshan clubs news and entertainment altogether.USP 😉
- According to a Ficci-KPMG report, regional general entertainment accounts for over 25.06 per cent of the Rs 8,000 crore-plus TV advertising pie with a viewership share of 27.3 per cent.So its a wise move by Sony in all aspects and will indeed be able to take ROI if wisely used
- Might be Sony is planning to repeat the success story of SAB ( Shree adhikari brothers) now the only channel of its type and in the segment.
- And why Mr Rao is IN is leaving only Telgu channel out of the pocket Eenadu is a fierce competitor of Sakshi, the newspaper of former chief minister Y S R Reddy’s son, Jagan Reddy. DHAN TA DHAN 😉
- But the question is will ETV telgu will retain same name or the other regional areas as well?
- And some how I see lots of cultural differences in the channel operations of ETV grp and Sony group so will this merger be gelled well or not that only time will tell but i guess the employees will be enjoying the Sony status soon.
- Now what else lets wait for the day when the deal is sealed. 😀